Boring Blog

Monday, January 29, 2007

The Lady Friend

My hubby's grandmother passed away last year in February. She and Pap were married for almost 52 years. What an accomplishment!! I can only hope that I will someday celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary. So anyway, it was a very rough few weeks after Grandma passed. She was the glue that held the family together. Pap is a little more on the quiet side, where Grandma spoke her mind whenever she felt the urge. It seemed as though the family has tried to continue the scheduled visits on the weekends and holidays. Some try to pop in regularly so Pap isn't so lonesome. Now I can't imagine how lonely it must be to have had the same person living with you for 50+ years and now suddenly you're left alone with just your dog. So now here it is almost a year later and a family member's significant other introduces Pap to widow that she works with. This lady is 69 years old, Pap is 76; she lost her husband 6 years ago and has been alone ever since. So when I find out about Pap's lady friend, my first reaction is "Oh my gosh, Karen (my mother-in-law) is going to freak out!!" I'm very supportive of the situation. I think its great that Pap has found someone to go out to dinner with. After all, everyone needs friends. He needs someone to spend his time with and just hang out with. He says its nothing serious and just someone to spend time with. So great!! Pap doesn't try to keep it a secret. He is very open and decides to tell the family about her, which I think is the best decision. So, on Sunday evening Pap and his lady friend stop by for a visit. So now what do I think, I don't know. She is a very nice lady. She was great with my kids. She got down on the floor and played with them. She definitely has a lot of energy. And I think she is going to be really great for Pap. She will keep him young and give him a reason to get out of bed every morning. It was just so weird. I guess maybe because she just wasn't Grandma and nothing really like Grandma. I'm keeping an open mind in the situation, but its just a little awkward. Pap is acting like a young kid again. He was laughing and making little jokes. She would put her hand on his knee and giggle. It was cute to watch them, but yet just a little weird at the same time. Don't know, I don't see wedding bells or anything too serious in the near future, but I think the new Lady Friend will definitely bring for interesting events, discussion, and I'm sure turmoil in the near future!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home