Boring Blog

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Holidays

This time of year is supposed to be merry and jolly. I think for most it’s frustrating and stressful. I am so glad Christmas is over and this year is about to end. Although my Christmas was very stressful, it was also enjoyable. This was probably the best Christmas I ever had and may be the best one I will ever have. My kids are at perfect ages and are so much fun. My daughter is 4 so she was most excited for Santa. My son only being 14 months didn’t understand why he was getting presents, but very much enjoyed the wrapping paper, boxes, and even the presents inside!

Now that its over, my living room looks like Santa’s sleigh crashed into it and I’m stuck with rearranging my house to find room for all these new toys. I truly wish people would save their money or buy my kids savings bonds or something practical rather than spend big bucks on toys that they may play with one time. Then the toy gets lost in the bottom of the toy box or broken, and there’s $20 or $25 out the window. I just don’t get it. Anyway, I guess people enjoy buying the presents and wasting the money. To be honest, I actually threw away a few things my kids got…didn’t even open the package, just went right to the garbage. Maybe that’s wrong, but my house isn’t big enough for everything. I spent Tuesday cleaning out closets and dressers to make room for new clothes. My husband carried FOUR boxes of clothes to the basement. I cleaned out toy boxes and organized the thousands of Barbie pieces and My Little Pony pieces. Did you know they make a Barbie that comes with lipstick for the Barbie? Do you realize how small Barbie lipstick has to be? Who gives this kind of gift to a 4 year old? Do they really think that lipstick is going to last more than an hour and not get lost? What kind of people come up with these ideas for toys? I gathered up 2 garbage bags of junk toys; some went to the trash and others went to the yard sale pile. So now my house is somewhat back to organized and I’m back to work for the slow quiet 3 day week.

And now here it is less than 3 days left in 2006. It sure doesn’t feel like December in PA! I have no plans for New Year’s. I haven’t gone to a typical New Year’s Eve party since I’ve had kids. I don’t really know what people do on New Year’s anymore. I’ll probably spend the evening at home. Maybe watch a movie with my hubby. Watch the ball drop & head off to bed.

I guess 2006 was an OK year for me. I don’t have much to complain about, but since I’m a complainer by nature I have to think of something. My son got RSV in January, since that has had numerous episodes with asthma and ear infections; had tubes in his ears in November; and got RSV again a few weeks ago. The sickness can go better in 2007. My daughter has aged about 10 years in the last year. In the beginning of the year she was a cute 3 year old toddler. Now in just a few short months, she has become a 4 year old kid. She’s gone from a baby, to a toddler, to a little girl! I guess that’s a good thing, but its just sad that the time goes so fast. Its hard to remember when she was a baby. I hope 2007 goes a little slower. My husband and I had a very rocky year. Things were bad, got worse, and then got even more worse. Since about the beginning of November things have made a 360 degree turn and so far have been good. I hope 2007 brings me marital bliss!! As for my job…well I try not to mention too much about work here so I don’t get fired…Let’s just say work was good, then not so good, then really bad, then good again, then not so good again, then really, really, really bad, then scary ok, then good, then a little better, and now frustratingly comfortable. In 2007, I don’t know what to wish for. Sometimes my job has “be careful what you wish for” written all over it. So I just hope I continue to have a job in 2007!

As for New Year resolutions, I’ve never actually made one. Most people say things like I’m going to save more money, or I’m going to lose 20 pounds, or I’m going to start this project or that. For me I try not to set myself up for failure, but it would be beneficial for me to do any of these things. Who doesn’t need to save more money? And those who have seen me lately sure know I need to lose more than 20 pounds. Remember a few months ago, I wrote a post titled “20 pounds for 20 bucks”? Well what the heck happened to that? I think I misinterpreted that bet to be gain 20 pounds and win 20 bucks. I wrote that post on August 4th. Since then I have gain 14.5 pounds…YES, I said 14! That was no typo. So with that I guess I’m officially making my first New Year resolution. Since I don’t like to fail, I’m not going to set a specific weight loss number. My resolution is just to start exercising again, to get in better shape, so I can have the energy to play with my kids and see them grow up!! Good luck with your resolutions!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Yeah, whatever happened to those crazy New Years Parties in Greenwood? ;) This is the one holiday that is HARD to enjoy with kids!!!!!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

What about donating some of those unopened gifts to charities like Toys for Tots, or something like that? They even take used ones usually. Yeah sometimes it's more time consuming and painstaking than just pitching it in the trash, but why not help out needy kids whose parents can't afford a Christmas (unless of course the gift is so crappy that you wouldn't even want to give it to a needy child) for their children. Good Will is always nice and you can get a tax refund for giving.

As for New Year's parties, I don't really think you're missing much. It's just an excuse for people to get hammered and do stuff they may regret later in life. I'd recommend your New Years Eve to anyone. Although maybe without Carson Daly next time.

9:42 PM  
Blogger DMM said...

I hate New Year's Eve...it's an amature night for drinkers. I did get asked out and went and had a great time. But all in all I would have been happy at home in bed sleeping.

As for the gifts I agree. My LM got tons of stuff - he's so spoiled but he's the only one I have so i'm happy to spoil him. ;)

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home