Boring Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Will My House Ever Be Clean Again?

Our house is 100+ years old and had never seen drywall until we moved in. 2 years ago my hubby made a mess of our upstairs and replaced doors, paint, and added drywall to my son's room. He put a new floor in the bathroom and we had carpet installed. He did everything himself except the carpet. It was a MESS! But we survived. This was his first experience with drywall so I was very nervous. But everything turned out great! Last year our major house project was the outside. Our house has aluminum siding and it was looking pretty bad. We couldn't afford to put vinyl siding up so he decided he could paint it. Again I was very nervous especially because our house is very steep and he is afraid of heights. And again it turned out great. I really thought we were done with major projects for a while. He has been bugging me to let him completely re-do the kitchen. My kitchen is the first room you see when you come in the door. I spend more time in this room than any other. It is very out-dated but I was ok with it for now so I've been desperately holding him off. Well Saturday morning he decided that we should just do it. I was very hesitant, but he said we were just going to repaint, reface the cabinets and replace the flooring. I negotiated for a new countertop too. And off to Home Depot we went. Last night he started tearing down layer after layer of wallpaper. The 100 year old horse hair plaster under the wallpaper was in really bad shape. So the next thing I know plaster is flying everywhere. And he said I'm taking everything out and drywalling. My first reaction is panic! But things have always turned out ok in the past. This morning, he headed back to Home Depot and returns with sheets of drywall and his brother. And down came the plaster. WHAT A MESS!! I have never seen so much dust in all my life. The walls were down to the studs and the floor was covered in dust, dirt, and plaster. It looked more like an old barn with a dirt floor than a kitchen. I took the kids and went to my mother's for dinner. When I got home I could have burst into tears. There was just so much dust all through the house. It was everywhere. I guess it was easier to deal with the mess upstairs because I didn't have to see it constantly. The mess in the kitchen is causing my dining room and living room to also be a mess. I couldn't get away from it no matter where I went. But things do seem to be coming along nicely. The drywall is already about 1/2 done. Rob assures me he'll be painting by Saturday and we will survive. Hopefully I will have beautiful after pictures very soon!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Up Date?? :)

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home