Boring Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Why Blog?

I've been taking a lot of slack recently for entering into the blogging world. I did not realize that most people view bloggers as weird, techy, or gay...yes these are terms people have actually said to me. Bloggers are not bad people. How did bloggers get such a bad reputation?

So since I'm fairly new to the blogging world I thought I would click through some blogs to see if I could figure out why bloggers are viewed this way. What I came up with is simply this...there are a lot of different kinds of people blogging. I don't see how anyone could group all bloggers together and say they are all weird. The only thing I found that I have in common with most bloggers is just that I blog too & that's pretty much it.

For the blogs in English that I could read, which wasn't a lot, I found various types of bloggers all over the country. Some people use a blog as a personal diary to tell about their day; some use it to keep in touch with family members with pictures; others use it to document something special going on in their life, like remodeling a house, having a baby, or planning a wedding; and some people post intimate life details on their blog.

Its hard to explain to people why I blog. So many have said, why do you do that? And how do I answer this? I don't know, its fun! And they look at me cross-eyed & wrinkled lip (yeah, you know the look!) and say what? its fun? Why is that fun? I can't explain it to people that don't do it. I think if these people spent some time reading blogs, they may want to eventually do it too. For me, I read blogs for about 6 months or so before I started doing it too. And then people will say, how do you have time to do that? Well I have 2 kids so spare time is something that is NOT in my vocabulary. But if you look at most of my post times, you will see I do this mostly when the kiddies are in bed. My kids are not neglected at all from my blogging!!

So anyway, for me I blog for something fun to do just for me because I can. As for the rest of you bloggers, you know we are all different and most of us are not bad people. We have just become another stereotype in society, that's all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy said...

Bloggers get a bad rap thanks to how it all started. The original bloggers usually wrote to speak out about what they believed it, mostly about politics and whatnot. Bloggers bashed senators and congressmen and would point out the apparent lack of ability with the nation's leaders. So you can imagine that people didn't like that too much. Darn non-conformists. Of course the original blogs weren't as user friendly as this so most bloggers were your typical geek who definitely had some radical opinions to voice. Over the years though blogging has become much more widespread thanks to its ease and accessibility, however the stereotypes remain. Someday people will learn we all aren’t geeky radicals, but probably no time soon.

10:14 PM  
Blogger DMM said...

My hubby thinks blogging is the dumbest thing ever. I tell him it's none of his business. HA I decided to start blogging so my LM would have a sort of diary type thing about all the crazy stuff his goofball parents made him do or thought about. Plus, it's a place for me to vent without talking to anyone. ;)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home