Boring Blog

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Quarantined

I'm on my way to work this morning & I stop at daycare to drop off the kiddies like I do every morning & there were about 10 garbage bags of stuff outside. I thought this to be a little odd. My daycare is usually well kept outside & I've never known anyone to drop off their Salvation Army stuff there. So I proceed to the door & what's posted? A notice reading, "A case of head lice has been reported. Every child will be checked!" So think oh great. Which dirty kid brought this to daycare? So I go in & the daycare owner/director is sitting there with her little comb & alcohol checking kids. Luckily the little guy is still pretty much bald as could be so he has little worries. She starts checking my daughter & she checked her for about 10 minutes. I'm thinking ok come on I'm going to be late for work...AGAIN! She proceeds to tell me that the child with the lice is one of Mackenzie's good buddies. But checking is done...so far, so good! She was checked numerous times throughout the day & I arrived to pick her up & they said she's in good shape, we didn't see any bugs all day. So I'm thinking we're good to go. I go home & wash my sheets, her sheets, Logan's sheets, all the blankets laying around. I did 4 loads of laundry. I checked her head again. And I kept thinking how do I know what I'm looking for. I've never had head lice, I've never seen it before. What if I'm missing something? So I use this handy, dandy internet tool & find all kinds of controversial things about lice & what treatments to use. Some of it was kind of scary. So bath time rolls around. I bath the kiddies & I start combing Mackenzie's hair. I'm combing it very closely & checking every strand of hair & I'm starting to see these little white things. So ok are these the so-called nits I've been reading about or are these just flakes from her scalp? They are so teeny, tiny, how am I suppose to know? Then all of the sudden I saw this "huge" (ok it wasn't huge, but it was bigger than I thought it was going to be & bigger than the little microscopic nits) BUG! An actual bug. It was white & I saw its legs & everything. It was the creepiest thing I've ever seen. So of course I say, "Oh S**t!!!" And Mackenzie says, "what, what's wrong mommy? do I have a bug in my hair?" And with my ever so calmly mommy voice, say "yes honey, yes you do." And instantly she starts freaking out. "Get a tissue, get it mommy, get it! I don't want bugs in my hair!!" ***For future reference, never tell your kids they have bugs in their hair!*** Great, so now what? I call her doctor to find out his recommendation since the internet just confused & scared me. He tells me what to do. Then I remember that my 3 nieces & nephew were here on Saturday. I call my sister-in-law to break the bad news to her. Thinking that I'm just telling her as a precaution because surely Mackenzie didn't have this over the weekend. My sister-in-law calls back 15 minutes later...Cassie has it too! So then I call my brother-in-law. Both his kids have had it before so he was cool about it & said they were both ok so far. Then I had to call my brother about my other niece & I think she's ok for now too. Mackenzie spent the night at mom's over the weekend so now my mom is freaking out that it could be in her bed. I could get this! Mackenzie can't go to daycare until its completely cleared up. I can't go to work if she can't go to daycare. This is just absolutely terrible. I feel bad for the daycare owner. She had so much stuff she took home to wash & now she's going to have to do it all again tomorrow. She might be better off to close daycare for 2 weeks until its completely gone. I feel like all the kids, especially the girls with lots of hair are going to get this. Its just going to be one vicious cycle!! And its so embarrassing, so what do I do? Publish it for all the world to read! I always thought of the kids with lice as being dirty or living in a dirty house. Well my house may not be spotless, but I do clean it. And my kids get baths EVERY day! How do you prevent things like this? And will it keep coming back? I'm just so frustrated about it. And there's no one to really be mad at. I like my kids being in daycare. I think its a good experience for them & Mackenzie has learn so much there. But then you have this kind of stuff. I guess you take the good with the bad & hope the good out-weighs the bad in the long run. It just sucks right now...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy said...

Boy I'm glad I'm not at The Workplace right now to catch your daughter's head lice. You are filthy filthy people! Okay, so enough of my meanness. Hopefully in your web excursions you found that head lice really is quite common (6 to 12 million people a hear get head lice) and that it is easily treatable with shampoos and has nothing to do with personal hygene. So you wash your hair with an extra shampoo for a few weeks and you have a little minor itching. This is just one of those things that comes with the territory of being a parent (and a good parent for being concerned and doing something about it). In the end, these things always help you grow as a person. Or at least grow head lice I guess. Those things are nasty looking!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. After about 15 loads of laundry, one bottle of RID, a nit comb, a jar of mayo, a little bit of vinegar, 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol, a lot of bleach, and 12 hours of cleaning, combing, and running myself ragged, I think I may have the cleanest house in the Cove! Its been an adventure. One that I hope is done & to never do again!!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

What does the jar of mayo do? That's a lot of sandwiches!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Not sure, but every home remedy for head lice called for mayo. I figured what would it hurt to try. And its suppose to be really great for your hair. I absolutely HATE mayo. Just the smell of it makes me want to gag. But I guess my motherly instincts kicked in & I survived!

10:23 PM  
Blogger DMM said...

UGH...that just erks me to no end. I had my LM in a private home daycare and I got the call - My son was playing with the neighbor boy and his mom called to me he may have scabies...FREAKING SCABIES..dirty people!! I took a few days off and reading the internet like a mad woman and bad mouthed the dirty neighbor boy!! I really hate bugs!!

Now that he's in a commercial setting my fear has been renewed. I'm shaving his head this weekend.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mr Lady said...

I have to comment here on this one...lice have nothing to do with cleanliness, as Jimmy said. Always keep a bottle of RID if you have school-aged kids. You're gonna need it.

The mayo is for your scalpand hair, as RID is really drying and lots of times it causes your scalp to itch and flake, which people will mistake for more nits and re-RID, and a vicious cycle begins. Just massage the mayo into the scalps. It's a great rehydrator.

Good luck!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Appreciate all the feedback. Its been a week. My daughter went back to daycare & so far no bugs. It really was the freakiest thing I ever saw!!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home